Saturday, March 14, 2009

Jam On



Loyal Listeners - As you've probably figured out by now, I have an affinity for retro swing, blues, and lounge music. I'll be talking a lot about it in this blog. But it's not all I listen to, and I believe that everyone should listen to as many different musical styles as they can muster.

It's interesting. In college ( which occurred during the dark ages it seems, I'm feeling a mid-life crisis coming on), I listened to rock, rock, and more rock. But I played a lot of jazz. For some reason I didn't want to listen to jazz, but I loved playing it. I think that experience helps me to appreciate jazz more today, to hear the silence between the notes, and to understand how to play something to make it swing. It's an experience I'm grateful for.

But now it's time for something else. Jam band music gets my mind moving. I was never a great improvisational player, so today I am fascinated with live and improvisational music (There is place for a studio recording and a live recording and I believe more and more that they are completely different genres). A band I used to listen a great deal to was Big Head Todd and the Monsters. Silly name, great band. They are primarily a live band and have built their fan base by touring. They have a new album out, that they are giving to listeners for free for a while. You have to sign up at their site, and then you can download it. I just got my copy, but haven't listened yet. I'm looking forward to it. Check it out.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters

Free Album

No comments:

Post a Comment